Gas Safety is probably the least thought about element when moving into a new house. However, Gas is not something to be underestimated!
In this article by the INDEPENDENT about gas explosions, the article states, “Nine suspected gas explosions affecting tenants and homeowners have taken place across Britain between since late October 2020 – nine blasts which caused deaths, injuries or serious building damage.”
So in this article, we have cover five essential things that you should know about gas safety. Please read the article carefully as it can save you or your loved one’s life.
5 Things to Know about Gas Safety
1. Get a Gas Safety Certificate
Whenever you move into a new house, make sure that the real estate agent shows you the gas safety certificate. This certificate ensures that the house has been thoroughly inspected by registered professionals and there are no harmful gases on the premises.
If there is no certificate, it is important that get this gas certificate yourself. Gas safety certificate cost is quite affordable; however, it does depend on the size of the property. On average it should cost you between £35 and £90…and more depending on the size of the property, the type of building and the number of appliances you need to get checked, etc.
2. Check Your Gas Appliances Yearly
Many of us might assume that since we have got our properties professionally checked, we are good to go, but this is a big misconception! You don’t know when your gas appliance might start to leak or become dangerous.
Some signs will help you know that there is a gas leakage, but the government recommends that you should get your property checked at least once a year, just to be sure. Better safe than sorry!
3. Beware of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning is very difficult to detect with a detecor making it a very serious concern! Detectors are very affordable and just like a smoke alarm, they will start beeping if the harmful gases get to a level where it gets dangerous, and you need to evacuate the property.
You should also be aware of the warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning :
- Feel Dizzy
- Flue-like symptoms
- Have trouble breathing
- Loss of consciousness
So if you suspect that you are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, here are a few things that you should do immediately:
- Open the doors and windows of the house immediately
- Turn of all the flames and gas appliances
- Evacuate the house
- Let your neighbors know
- Go to the Hospital to get yourself, and other housemates checked
- Call the fire emergency department
- Call the Gas emergency helpline
4. Beware Of The Warning Signs Of Your Gas Appliances
Here are a couple of visual warning signs you can also make a note of to monitor your appliances:
- There should be a blue flame on your gas stove. A Yellow or orange flame would mean you need to get your stove checked.
- If you see soot or black marks, or any other kind of stains on your stove, you might need to call in a professional to check your appliance
- If your pilot lights are going out frequently, it’s time to get your appliance checked.
- Increased condensation on your windows or doors can also indicates a gas leakage, and you might need to call in a professional to fix the issue.
5. Cooking Tips
We are all human, so here are a couple of easy and sensible things everyone can do to minimise risk:
- Maintain the flame when cooking. Turn it off as soon as you are done cooking.
- Keep an eye out that you don’t leave the appliance on and burn your food.
- You must maintain and clean your appliance regularly.
- Make sure you use the right utensils also matter – the material of the utensil should be anti-corrosive and non-inflammable.